"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonport

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Mon Oct 3 13:28:20 AEST 1988

In article <16711 at ism780c.isc.com> marv at ism780.UUCP (Marvin Rubenstein) writes:
-In article <8569 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
->The proposed ANS for C does NOT repeat NOT prohibit implementations
->from supporting more than 6 monocase characters of significance in
->external identifiers.
-Absolutly true.  But it does prevent me form *using* external identifiers
-with more than 6 monocase characters if I want to be certain that my programs
-will be accepted by *all* conforming C compililation systems.

Wrong -- it is not the dpANS that prevents you from doing that,
but rather the way that some system environments happen to work.
The dpANS simply acknowledges this externally-imposed constraint.