FORTRAN to C converter wanted. Also tweaking code.

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Oct 9 10:31:49 AEST 1988

In article <372 at Grumpy.UUCP> wgh at Grumpy.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) writes:
>  some of the big hassles of translating FORTRAN->C are
>   (1) origin-1 indexing
>   (2) subroutine argument pass-by-reference
>   (3) variables declared by default in-line (initial ijklmn) (this is easily
>       solved by a 2-pass conversion, but why do all that work?)
>   (4) equivalencing of variables

I studied the problem at one point and concluded that all of these things
fell under the "nuisance" heading, not the "big problem" heading.  (One
caution:  this was a fairly brief study.)  The big hassles in translating
Fortran to C that I found were the complex, baroque formatted I/O and the
long list of non-trivial library functions that have to be provided.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu