VMS C & records in files

Marc Evans marc at ima.ima.isc.com
Thu Sep 15 21:22:47 AEST 1988

I found that avoiding the RMS facilities is the most practical way of dealing
with the VMS system. It took a little work up front, but the end product was
quite a bit more easy to debug/use/code.

What I did was wrote the CLIB functions that I needed using the QIO facilities.
This bypasses the RMS problem entirely, and in fact has a reasonble mapping
to the read/write/lseek/open/close counterparts. The result was a scheme of
/* DO WHAT I SAY, DAMN IT! */.

The unfortunate part is that I am an independant consultant, and the code was
left behind at a client site. I don't seem to have a copy hanging around here
anyplace, but if I discover it, I will attempt to post it.