"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonport

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Tue Sep 20 16:53:56 AEST 1988

In article <10295 at bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs at ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>Two is a couple.  A few is at least three (in my book).  I guess
>*many* will have to be at least four.  Let's put this question to the
>test.
>I can think of one, so I'll start:
>  1) GECOS / GCOS / GCOS 8
>     for the GE 600 / Honeywell 6000 / DPS 8 series
Here are two very well known ones:
   2) MVS/XA for IBM S/370 series
   3) VM/CMS for IBM S/370 series
There are some similarities between these two operating systems, but
there are major differences too.  There is a Japanese workalike for
MVS, but let's ignore workalikes.  The S/370 range can run System V
(Amdahl's UTS) and SunOS, but they haven't got this linker problem (:-).
There was a C compiler for TOPS-10 on the DEC-10, but I guess we can
regard TOPS-10 as dead and not count it.

One more, and we'll be there!

But the question is not the number of _system types_ but the number of
_implementors_.  I know of four C compilers for VM/CMS, and I'm sure there
must be more in progress.