using standard interfaces (was: Re: Explanation, please!)

Steve Summit scs at athena.mit.edu
Fri Sep 16 10:07:51 AEST 1988

A while back, somebody wrote (explaining why they hadn't and/or
wouldn't use a newly standardized function):

	I doubt that memcpy even existed then; and it is *not* standard
	now.  Perhaps it will be several years after the ANSI standard is
	adopted, but not till then.

The reason we keep pointing out the existence of standard
functions to those who would rather (or have to) roll their own
is to encourage people to start using the standard interface, by
writing their own function with the same name and parameters,
rather than sticking special-purpose code in-line, or inventing
some new name.  This way the program can take advantage of
standardized, optimized implementations when they become
available (for instance when the program is ported to a different
system which has them).

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.pika.mit.edu