HP/Rumors

Hans Zuidam hans at nlgvax.UUCP
Fri Sep 9 17:54:08 AEST 1988

In article <2921 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <2327 at mhres.mh.nl>, jv at mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>> A quote from the file etc/MACHINES of the GNU 18.50 distribution:
>>
>>   "The [HP9000] series 500 has a seriously incompatible memory architecture
>>   "which relocates data in memory during execution of a program,
>>   "and support for it would be difficult to implement.

(This is from memory)
When I worked at the Eindhoven University of Technology we had 4 HP9000/500s
and we ported emacs to it.

The real problem (with emacs 16.??) we had was that emacs assumed that a machine
with 32 bit words uses only 24 address bits. The upper 8 were assumed to be free
and available for type tags. In essence, it assumed that all machines have a VAX
like addressing scheme. The HP9000/500 uses all 32 bits. This same problem
occurred every time we tried to port a program which made any assumption on the
format of a pointer.

The "problem" is that the HP9000/500 has a segmented memory architecture. Each
pointer consists of a segment number and a segment offset and then some. At load
time the segments are assigned to the program and each pointer (identified as
such in the load file) is fixed up with the segment number of its associated data.
When you have emacs dump itself to create a faster loadable binary, you would
have to write every pointer back with no segment assigned. For arbitrary pointers
this is a hell of a job.

A colleague of mine succeeded in porting it but without the dump facility. If
you are interrested, you can contact him at the following address:

		Geert Leon Janssen
		Eindhoven University of Technology,
		Department of Electrical Engineering,
		P.O. Box 513,
		5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
		(UUCP: ...!mcvax!euteal!geert)
--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans at nlgvax.UUCP
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288