questions about C standards

"Mark Phillips ", RD Goldman mbp at LAKISIS.UMD.EDU
Sun Sep 18 03:54:47 AEST 1988

I have two questions regarding C standards:

(1) Where can I find ANSI documents containing the current (if any)
    and proposed standards?  Are they published in a book or journal?

(2) Is it considered acceptable to do the following things with
    structures or unions?
	(a) pass them (by value) to functions
	(b) have functions which return them
	(c) assign them (=)
	(d) test them (structures only) for equality with ==
    By "acceptable" I mostly mean "portable".  The C compilers
    which I currently use (Sun OS and MS) allow at least (a),(b),
    and (c), but I am wondering whether I might run into problems
    porting my programs to other machines in the future if I do
    these things.

Thanks!

Mark Phillips
Department of Mathematics