memory allocation

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at cdis-1.uucp
Sat Sep 24 00:01:41 AEST 1988

In article <33692 at XAIT.XEROX.COM>, g-rh at XAIT.XEROX.COM (Richard Harter) writes:
) 	Immediate coalescence is usually the right thing to do.  Your
) strategy for validating freed blocks sounds like it is expensive time
) wise.

Not really.  As I scan and coalesce the blocks, I perform the
validation.  of the pointers.  It's real simple (one "xor"),
but catches most errors.  The control block contains only:
	[0]	back ptr
	[1]	size of block (is even, the low bit == "in use")

I don't mind the small expense at free() time, because in general
that's not done nearly as often as malloc() in my applications.
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner