const comparison in C and C++

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Sep 21 01:43:28 AEST 1988

In article <782 at proxftl.UUCP> bill at proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:

| :
| : const volatile int * const clock;     /* clock is a readonly pointer to */
| :                                       /* a readonly and volatile int    */
|
| Almost.  As specified, it is not initialized and so contains a
| null pointer.  You should initialize it to the right address.

  Am I misreading the standard? My interpretation was that uninitialized
global storage was set to *all bit zero* and that there was something
that mentioned this might not be zero for types other than integral
types. Is the compiler and linker path really supposed to initialize
this to a null pointer (as in zero cast to a pointer)? On some machines
the NULL pointer isn't all bits off, for sure.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)