C on IBM mainframes -- discussion/mailing list?

David H. Wolfskill david at dhw68k.cts.com
Thu Sep 1 13:21:16 AEST 1988

This article is intended to be of interest to those who are concerned
with using C on IBM mainframes (s/370 architecture) and
"plug-compatible" machines.  If this is not your interest, please feel
free to skip to the next article; no hard feelings.  If it *is* an
interest of yours, I hope very much that you will read further.

>From various postings in this forum, as well as some involvement in
SHARE (a user group for users of IBM mainframes), I understand that
there is some interest in implementations of C for IBM mainframes.
(From now on, let's agree to use the term "IBM mainframe" to also
include other vendor's machines of similar architecture -- unless
explicitly specified otherwise -- OK?)

SHARE has had a "C committee" for around a couple of years now; its
formation was spearheaded by Walt Horowitz (presently of MUST
Software), but because of other committments within SHARE, he has found
it necessary to ask that someone else assume the role of C committee
chair.

Somehow, I am in that position now.

I am interested in contacting people who would be willing to discuss
(just among ourselves) the C language in an IBM mainframe environment.
The intent of the discussions would be to explore subjects (and
possible speakers) for "sessions" at SHARE meetings.

The idea of a "newsletter" (of some sort) was discussed -- briefly --
at the last SHARE C committee meeting; my preference was to make such a
thing a mailing list.  Unfortunately, there are certain IBM systems in
existence that do not lend themselves well to the use of mailing lists,
and not everyone has the "luxury" of a machine that runs UNIX at
home....  :-)

In particular, very few of the attendees at that meeting had the
capability to become part of such an endeavor....  :-(

In any case, if you would be interested in pursuing this further,
please contact me by a proper subset of:

Email (address):	david at dhw68k.cts.com
Email (path):		...{elroy,felix,zardoz}!dhw68k!david
Telephone:		(714) 835-4055
US Postal Service:	1322 W. Malboro Ave., Anaheim, CA 92801

If there is sufficient interest, one possibility is to go ahead and set
up a mailing list, the contents of which could be mailed (via USPS) to
those who are on the above-mentioned recalcitrant types of machines....

If such a mailing list is set up, I will attempt to ensure that
information about it is posted periodically.

Thank you for reading this far; I look forward to discussing this
further with you.

david
--
David H. Wolfskill