one large array in Pascal

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at super.ORG
Thu Sep 1 06:03:33 AEST 1988

In article <IWM.88Aug30095804 at asun3.ic.ac.uk> iwm at asun3.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:
>At least one early Pascal compiler did not implement  `dispose',
>instead there were `mark' and `free' which treated the heap like a stack,
ah, pascal.
So portable, except everybody had a slightly different IO system,
esp. with the interpretation of eol and eof. (berkeley pascal will
still kill you if you test eol when eof is true).
And, of course, everybody did one of 2 1/2 storage system types,
so that you did not use any dynamic storage if you wanted your
program to be portable.
Gosh, brings back the good ol' days doesn't it?
   There are lots of little holes like that in Pascal, which may
explain the coding style of TeX. Within limits- no I/O, no dynamic memory,
etc.- a real portable language.
ron