Third public review of X3J11 C

Liber nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Thu Sep 1 09:10:26 AEST 1988

In article <891 at l.cc.purdue.edu> cik at l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>As a researcher, I find it
>necessary to glance at more than 200 journals.  I certainly missed the
>announcement in CACM (one of my lower priority journals).

So you, as a *researcher*, wanted to know if anything spectacular was
happening in the C language development community.  Did you start your
research into this subject by looking at a journal designed for this
group?  From what you have posted so far, this does not appear to be
the case.

>I do not believe it appeared in _Science_, the journal of AAAS.  Now most
>mathematicians and statisticians do not read any of the above named journals.

And most R&D computer people do not read Science.  Do mathematicians
and statisticians make important announcements in the CACM?  I think
not.

>How about asking
>the physicists and chemists and astronomers and geologists and biologists?
>(Apologies to the groups left out are in order.)

Apologies NOT accepted!  If you can't come up with the definitive list
of places where this information should be published to reach everybody
who might even be remotely interested in this, why are you expecting
anyone else to be able to?  Also, how many of these groups are really
interested in codifying existing C practice (as the X3J11 charter
clearly mandates), or are they just interested in getting their 'wish
list' kludged into the language (as you seem to be)?
--
 _ __		NEVIN J. LIBER  ..!att!ihlpb!nevin1  (312) 979-4751  IH 4F-410
' )  )				NEWS FLASH ... ... ...  I GOT A PHONE!!