"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonport

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Wed Sep 21 04:29:17 AEST 1988

In article <10295 at bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs at ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>Two is a couple.  A few is at least three (in my book).  I guess
>*many* will have to be at least four.  Let's put this question to the
>test.
>I can think of one, so I'll start:
>  1) GECOS / GCOS / GCOS 8

   2) CDC Cybers, 170 series.  (I have to hedge a bit here, we can use *7*
character identifiers, but, since it also uses, I believe, an underscore,
that takes up one of the characters.)  It is, however, monocase.
And, surprising though it may be to those who know the machine (and those
who don't should 8-)), there exist at least *two* C Compilers for the macine:
UofTexas (or is it Austin, I forget) ported PCC to NOS (ugh!), and I and a
couple of friends (Hi mike!) ported Small-C (almost as much ugh!).
The Compilers work, but there is not much we can do about the linker (part
of the operating system, you see; generally, you build a ".o" equivilent,
then, when you try to run it, the OS recognizes that it is non-linked and
then proceeds to link it).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Never underestimate the bandwith of a pickup full of
seanf at sco.UUCP   |     9-track tapes!"  - Eric Green (elg at killer)