"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonportable code

Alan T. Bowler [SDG] atbowler at watmath.waterloo.edu
Fri Sep 23 13:40:55 AEST 1988

In article <531 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob at kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>Gentlemen >system programmers, surely you too have algorithms that are
>more accurately expressed with arrays from other than base zero?

I feel like the world has gone through some strange warp.  Back when I
was studying numerical analysis the complaint from the mathematicians
and numerical analysts was about how awkward it was to code algorithms
in Fortran-IV because it used origin 1 indexing and origin 0 would
clearly have been so much more "natural".