Explanation, please!

Earl Killian earl at mips.COM
Thu Sep 1 04:30:46 AEST 1988

   In article <ac4GLe9fit1010twl3. at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> chuck at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Charles Simmons) writes:
   : I then added a piece to the program to use 'memcpy'.  The results?
   : Duff beats a simple loop by 10%.  'memcpy' is 9 times faster than
   : Duff.  So why do people spend so much time avoiding standard subroutines?

   Try some history, bud; it's good for what ails you.

   I doubt that memcpy even existed then; and it is *not* standard
   now.  Perhaps it will be several years after the ANSI standard is
   adopted, but not till then.

Perhaps a better reason:

According to the author, that code was used for copying to a 16-bit IO
device.  It would have be illegal to use memcpy or bcopy because they
would make word references to the device.
--
UUCP: {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!earl
USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques Ave, Sunnyvale CA, 94086