(multiuser) protection via compiler

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sun Sep 11 02:56:11 AEST 1988

In article <1450 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>So what's to stop me from writing out a load module and subverting
>the protection mechanism, as I noted in my (deleted) footnote?

The O/S, of course, which cooperates with the compiler as to these tags
or region markers or whatever.  In fact, the only way to subvert the
system, if the system is done right, is to take it apart and either
rewire it, or move its disks to another machine and rewrite them, or
something along those lines---i.e., something software is physically
unable to protect against.  (I thought this whole line of reasoning was
obvious.  [proof by intimidation :-) ])

>I would think that the perversions necessary to make 'C' safe to run
>on this machine would make it sufficiently useless ...

Probably.