"Numerical Recipes in C" is nonport

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Sep 30 04:50:14 AEST 1988

In article <4111 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>     A custom post-processor takes these object files, scans for all
>     long identifiers, shortens them to unique 6-char names, and
>     produces as its output system-format object files ready for the
>     standard linker.
>
>By the way, you can't really build the post-processor into the output
>phase of the compiler.  It has to have access to all user files that
>will be linked so it can look for conflicting symbols and disambiguate
>them...

So we are talking about a partial linking step after all.  And the
postprocessor has to scan all the libraries, to prevent name conflicts
with them.  And the object modules and libraries can't be postprocessed
until linking time.  How, precisely, is this different from defining a
new object-module format and writing a new linker?
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu