How do a write portable programs?

Daniel E. Wilson;1432;58-790;; danw at tekchips.CRL.TEK.COM
Sat Sep 10 15:57:31 AEST 1988

In article <2515 at ingr.UUCP> jones at ingr.UUCP (Mark Jones) writes:
>In article <1056 at nmtsun.nmt.edu>, warner at hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) writes:
>Instead of using NULL, use ZERO, and don't worry about casting it.  [Because
>K&R guarantees that `0' denotes a null pointer constant.]

    I for one have problems with this.  There is an Intel C compiler that
will not handle 0 for a NULL pointer in the large memory model.  This is
due to the lack of argument checking in K&R C.  (C++ is much better.)

If you wish for a program to be portable do this:

	#define    NIL(type)  ((type *) 0)

Always use this function and you avoid the problem.