C compilers with integrated preprocessors

Leo de Wit leo at philmds.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 23:03:24 AEST 1988

In article <1205 at nmtsun.nmt.edu> warner at hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) writes:
   [ ]...
>The VAX-C compiler (the one from DEC) does not have a separate
>preprocessor.

You probably mean the VAX-VMS C compiler? This *HAS* a separate
preprocessor, as far as I can see. Roaming about in SYS$SYSTEM revealed
that there was a C.COM which does compilation, using a program named
CPP.EXE (now doesn't that name sound familiar?).

Because I sometimes needed to look at the output of the preprocessor (I
think it's useful to be able to do this, but who am I?), I have a line
in my LOGIN.COM:

$ cpp  :== $sys$system:cpp -isys$library:

so I can say now

cpp myfile.c

which does the obvious thing. The only problem seems to be with the
non-standard filenames in #include directives that are supported by
VMS-C, e.g. in stdio.h:

#include stddef

but I think using the right logicals/symbols might solve even this
(anybody any idea ?).

                        Leo.