using standard interfaces (was: Re: Explanation, please!)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Sep 18 07:08:16 AEST 1988

In article <7076 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> scs at adam.pika.mit.edu (Steve Summit) writes:
>	I doubt that memcpy even existed then; and it is *not* standard
>	now.  Perhaps it will be several years after the ANSI standard is
>	adopted, but not till then.
>
>The reason we keep pointing out the existence of standard
>functions to those who would rather (or have to) roll their own
>is to encourage people to start using the standard interface...

Note also that there is a public-domain version of memcpy in the strings
library I wrote (which went out in comp.sources.unix quite some time ago,
and is available from their archives).  It's not fast, but it works.
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu