optimization (was Re: C vs. FORTRAN (efficiency))

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UUCP
Sat Aug 19 13:51:57 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug18.152547.10774 at algor2.uu.net> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>A lot of my compiles, and I suspect many other people's, are
>recompiles of large systems where we are testing the result of
>changing a single define.  The change and test require next to no
>thought but the recompile involves tens of thousands of lines.

To paraphrase my previous award winning aphorism about optimization:
Knowing WHEN to compile is as important as knowing HOW to compile. :-)

The most annoying single creature in programming's Wild Kingdom is the
raging Recompilasaurus.  Bellowing its characteristic mating call -- "OH
*THAT* MUST BE IT" -- this amazing creature snarls and stomps its way
through the Thrashed Systemian jungles, changing one line and then
recompiling!  changing one line and then recompiling! -- leaving the
twisted, still-moving hulks of object and listing files littered across
the forest floor.

When cornered by enraged packs of other programmer species, but especially
by the dreaded Managatherium, its cry changes to the well-known "BUT I
ONLY CHANGED ONE THING!"

Well, I'll stay here at Base Camp and radio our position while Jim and
Bob descend into the valley and put this radio collar on the raging
Recompilasaurus... :-)
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET