UNIX-like crypt function

Carl Paukstis carlp at frigg.iscs.com
Sat Aug 26 01:56:31 AEST 1989

In article <605 at targon.UUCP> ruud at targon.UUCP (Ruud Harmsen) writes:

>crypt(3) is available on all UNIXes (though not as source), crypt(1) is not.
                          ^^^
"Always avoid over-generalizing."  I recall that we had some rather
interesting discussions with the commerce department on this subject.
The "International" version of the stuff WE send out most emphatically
does NOT include the crypt(3) function.  That's basically the ONLY
reason we HAVE a separate "International" version.  I'm not aware of
what we did for password encryption, but it's not the standard
encryption, or DES, or anything else which qualifies as encryption
technology.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's the LAW.  Or the rule with force of
law.  "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"      |  DOMAIN:  carlp at frigg.ISCS.COM
   NOTE preferred mail address change, |  UUCP:    ...!uunet!iscuva!frigg!carlp