moving upper case names to lower case -- Followups to comp.unix.questions

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Aug 25 03:57:31 AEST 1989

In article <CLINE.89Aug23151847 at sun.clarkson.edu> cline at sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) writes:
>In article <2336 at oakhill.UUCP> stevenw at oakhill.UUCP (Steven Weintraub) writes:
>>I should point out there is a risk in using tolower like this.  Some
>>machines define tolower as ((c)-'A'+'a') (like some sun systems).
>The Gould UTX systems also do this ------------------

Basically, it's that way in BSD environments (evolved from 7th Ed. UNIX).
Both SunOS and UTX/32 have System V environments available, in which
tolower() behaves the way required by the C standard.