BSS data segment

Greg Ullmann gregu at pyrnova
Sat Aug 5 05:26:53 AEST 1989

In article <20900001 at inmet> mark at inmet writes:

>As a new comer to UNIX and C I have always wondered what BSS stands for??

According to "Life with UNIX: A Guide for Everyone", Don Libes & Sandy
Ressler:

	"bss" stands for Block Started by Symbol.  Used by a now obsolete
	IBM assembler, BSS was an assembler pseudo-opcode that filled an
	area of memory with zeros.  That is exactly the effect of the bss
	in a.out files.  The bss is also called the unitialized data.

      -m-------  Greg Ullmann                Phone : (313)973-0932
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology          UUCP  : pyramid.com!pyrnova!gregu
  -----mmmmm---
-------mmmmmmm-

"Comedy is when someone else falls in a manhole and breaks his neck.
 Tragedy is when I cut my finger."  -Mel Brooks