ReadKey like Function in C

ody davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Tue Aug 15 23:32:34 AEST 1989

  I agree that these should be part of the standard! Anyone who has
written a (more or less) portable program knows the joy of setting raw
mode one way for SysV, another for BSD, using raw read calls in CP/M and
MS-DOS, a calling sys$read_raw$some_long_name in VMS. It gets worse as
you go to TOPS, PRIMOS, etc.

  One of the constraints of X3J11 was to "codify existing practice," and
I hope that this will continue in the next C version. Therefore, since
kbhit() and getch() are probably the widest spread, I would suggest that
the MS-DOS haters would still like to adopt this convention, since it
would simplify porting programs to other operating systems.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen