comma operator

David T. Sandberg dts at quad.uucp
Sun Aug 6 09:05:42 AEST 1989

In article <3611 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
:In article <3287 at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> SMITHJ at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
:>Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm sure that all the documentation I've read warns
:>that the *comma* operator ----does not----- guarantee evaluation in any order.
:>Specifically, the Microsoft 5.0 manual mentions this.
:
:HAHAHAHEEHEEEHOHOHOHOHAHAHEEEEEEhaaaawheheheeeehoohohohohaha
:
:Whinny!  Laughed myself horse on that one.
:
:You're probably not mistaken, though; I don't doubt a bit that a
:Microsoft compiler for any language would implement it in such a way as
:to controvert every tenet of the language's original specifications.

Come on, give Microsoft a break here.  At least one article has
appeared which sets the record straight on this; MSC treats the
comma operator in the correct manner (left to right order of
evaluation), and the person above was wholly mistaken.  Please:
Microsoft gets quite enough grief for their real problems; it's
pointless to badrap them for bugs that *don't* exist.

--
                                  David Sandberg
 "bidibidibidibidi... here's      PSEUDO: dts at quad.uucp
      your flower, Buck"          ACTUAL: ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts