Structuring this newsgroup (was Re: C question [RTFM])

jourdan martin joseph jourdan at seti.inria.fr
Fri Aug 18 19:12:13 AEST 1989

In article <14866 at dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>[stuff about someone not knowing Dennis Richly (sic!)]
>
>Look, maybe we should create a "comp.lang.c.beginner" group or something.
>I'm getting tired of reading these endless questions like "what's a comma
>operator?", why do we have a main function?, how do I post to this network?
>etc. etc.
>
>[...]
>-- Ari Halberstadt '91, "Long live succinct signatures"

I strongly support this wish!  "comp.lang.c" is presently a mess in
which you have to sort out interesting discussions from naive
questions, and this is tiring.  (When I left for holidays a month ago
I had caught up with this newsgroup; two days ago I came back and
there were more than 500 new postings!)

I don't mean that naive questions should be totally forbidden.  There
exist quite a number of areas in which I would appreciate expert
advice about naive problems, but they do not include the C language.
One solution would be to have this group moderated, but I can already
hear the flamethrowers preparing their weapons...  What I propose
instead is to structure "comp.lang.c" into a number of subgroups for
easier sorting.  Possible topics could include:
	language	(as such)
	libraries
	interface with various OS
	beginners
	misc		(do not forget it!)
IMHO these topics should not be totally "waterproof" to each other,
but at least this could be a start.

How do you feel about that?

--

Martin Jourdan <jourdan at minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
My employers have no opinion and they guarantee my freedom of expression.