want to know

News system news at ism780c.isc.com
Thu Aug 17 07:06:08 AEST 1989

In article <1496 at l.cc.purdue.edu> cik at l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

>Those who remember the old Fortran will know that one normally had a PROGRAM
>card, which was of the form
>
>	PROGRAM NAME(.............)

Herman's recolection of old FORTRAN is different from mine.  The original
FORTRAN (for the IBM 704) had no user written subroutine facility at all so
the question of a name was moot.  FORTRAN/2, FORTRAN/4, (and I think
FORTRAN/66) programs all begin execution with the one and only ANONYMOUS
program unit.  FORTRAN/77 also begins execution with the anonymous program
unit if there is one although the entry unit may be named.  In the FORTRAN/77
system that I implemented the program name, if given, is ignored.  This was
done in order to implement the concept of an anonymous entry point.

And speaking of old FORTRAN, The first FORTRAN system that I am aware of that
used control cards was called FMS (Fortran Monitor System). This system did
not have a PROGRAM card.  An input card file looked like:

  *FORTRAN
   <fortran-source-cards>
  *FAP
   <assembly-language-source-cards>
   <previously-compiled-object-decks>
  *DATA
   <data-for-the-object-program>

If a PROGRAM NAME(....) card was used in later systems, my guess is that
it was on a system with online object file storage and that NAME was the name
of the file containing the program, not the name of the entry point.

Is is possible that Herman is confusing the name of the file containing a
program with the name of an entry point?

    Marv Rubinstein