entry at other than main (was w

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Aug 23 11:02:31 AEST 1989

In article <19173 at mimsy.UUCP> I suggested that SNOBOL's `$Z' construct
obtained

In article <207600032 at s.cs.uiuc.edu> mccaugh at s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>A clearer explanation is that '$' maps the value of variable Z (the
>string 'Y') to the variable Y;

Indeed.  Well, as I said, it has been quite some time since I dealt
with SNOBOL, and it was only for a short while.  (Does not SNOBOL IV
evaluate right-to-left?  In which case, yet another way to put it
is that

	$X = $Z '0'

evaluates '0', yeilding the string '0', then evaluates Z (yeilding
the string 'Y'), then evaluates $'Y' (yeilding the value of Y, 'X'),
then `evaluating' the equals sign....)

At any rate, take whatever I say about SNOBOL IV with at least a few
grains of salt; see the reference manual (by Griswold, if I have spelled
that right) for certainty.