entry at other than main (was want to know)

Herman Rubin cik at l.cc.purdue.edu
Sun Aug 20 22:40:57 AEST 1989

In article <19164 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In many articles many people write this, that, and the other argument
> for or against `main()' as the program entry point.

> 	d) program begins at any function (Lisp, APL, etc).
>
> At any rate, you can, right now, go out and *buy* approach (d) for C:
> there are at least two C interpreters on the market.  If you want it,
> go pay for it.

Except for debugging purposes, or very small jobs, interpreters are too
expensive to run.  I would not want to replace my loader with an interpreter
if it were free.

The problem is NOT a C problem, except as the cc compiler invokes the
loader if requested to.  It is a linkage problem, and language designers
must be conderned with this.  If the linkage part of the loader were
slightly changed, the problem would completely disappear.  This is a
small part of the linkage problem.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin at l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)