Dumb question: What IS a trigraph?

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Sun Aug 20 09:09:23 AEST 1989

In article <3566 at uwovax.uwo.ca> 2014_5001 at uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>Every so often someone mentions a trigraph.  What is a trigraph???

May I refer you to page 229 of the Kernighan and Ritchie Bible,
"The C Programming Language" (2nd. ed.).  Also, page 259 (Appendix C,
"Summary of Changes") states:
	'Trigraph sequences introduced by ?? allow representation of
characters lacking in some character sets.'

This substitution is usually performed by a preprocessor.  For instance,
the following are valid trigraphs:
	??=	#	??(	[	??<	{
	??/	\	??)	]	??>	}
	??'	^	??!	|	??-	~

>I have programmed in C for 3 years, and the only time I met the word was when I
>was reading a graph-theory book (and I cannot remember what that definition
>was).
You've programmed in C for 3 years and haven't read the Bible according
to K & R (revised ed.) ??

>Please enlighten me.
The pointer to NULL is not the whole of the dhamma.  Mu!

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Bang: ..!uunet!dsiramd!csnz!paul    Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz
Call Magic Tower BBS V21/23/22/22bis 24 hrs +0064 4 767 326