ReadKey like Function in C

Steve Summit scs at hstbme.mit.edu
Thu Aug 31 14:59:24 AEST 1989

In article <1979 at munnari.oz.au> ok at .cs.mu.oz (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <3802 at buengc.BU.EDU>, bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>> What I want to know is, how does EDT work, if VMS can't handle
>> character-at-a-time devices.
>EDT is driven by the keypad, and those keys send escape sequences.
>Think of it as every record being <text> <edit command>.

This is correct, but EDT is in fact truly character-at-a-time.
It is modeless, and each printing character appears, inserted,
as soon as it is typed.

In a previous article I outlined several ways to do true single-
character reads from terminals under VMS.  It's straightforward;
no harder than under Unix.