ReadKey like Function in C

Thomas E. Dell dell at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 17 07:31:03 AEST 1989

>I have *yet* to *really* encounter a need to get a key as soon as it's
>pressed.  If the ability is available, I might design things differently
>than if it weren't, but it's not something that will kill me if it's not
>there.  The *only* place I've seen a need for something like that is in
>games, which, I regret to inform you, are not the staple of most
>programmers.

How about..

  - You want to have abort/flush/whatever characters in your
    application that are not handled by unix
  - You don't want your characters echoed back when you type
    them, but when they are used (as fill-in-the-blank applications,
    etc). Echo-as-you-type is often undesirable.
  - You want to add more line edit capabilities, such as ^W to
    erase a word, or whatnot.
  - You have prompts where no [return] is desired, as a yes/no, etc.

I've never written a game in my life.. These are all problems
quality applications program have coping with the many varieties
of unix.. Many times the default behavior is damn ugly, unusable, or worse.

dell at ames-nas.arpa ..
or apple!spies!uuwest!lunatic