Memory Models

Bill Rust wjr at ftp.COM
Sat Aug 26 01:40:40 AEST 1989

In article <2694 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> gregg at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
>From article <664 at philmtl.philips.ca>, by ray at philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn):
>> Hey, it's easy.  If you don't want to bother yourself with memory models,
>> then always use the large or huge models and forget about it.
>
>Funny, I have yet to see a compiler for the Intel 80x (x < 386) family that
>can increment a pointer through more than 64K.  Anyone else seen one?

Both TurboC and MSC have huge pointers that go through 64K boundaries. (Albeit,
I think that TC does it better at the penalty of longer execution times.) Since
those are the only two compilers that I have had much experience with in the
last couple of years, my guess would be that most of the others have some
support as well.

Bill Rust (wjr at ftp.com)