Uninitialized externals and statics.

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Fri Aug 25 00:05:55 AEST 1989

In article <783 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

> Are there any well-known machines on which these aren't equivalent, and
> on which the "wrong" initialization is done?

  Well known machines, yes. I don't have access to them anymore. The
Honeywell DPS series (36 bit) has 400000000000(8) for f.p. zero and
xxxxxx00004x(8) for byte pointer (x's are address bits). I believe that
some DG models have char ptrs which are non-zero when NULL, but I
haven't looked at one in close to ten years.

  Can someone help on this?

--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon