C wildcard routines

Earle R. Horton earleh at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sat Aug 12 07:29:29 AEST 1989

In article <1359 at intercon.UUCP> amanda at intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) writes:
>Another place to look is a set of routines written by Henry Spencer at
>the University of Totonto.  They match UNIX-style regular expressions,
>and all he asks is that you don't misrepresent where you got the code.
>None of the GNU political baggage.  They came across comp.sources.unix
>some time ago--they should be available for FTP from uunet or other
>archive sites.

     A good place to look is j.cc.purdue.edu.  The directory is
comp.sources.unix, and you want files regexp.Z and regexp2.Z.  These
are compressed shar files, if memory serves me well.

     I have used these to do regular expression searching on the Mac,
and they work well.  They are even "16-bit clean," by this meaning
they will compile and run when used with a compiler where (sizeof(int) == 16).
That is most definitely not the case with some of the GNU code.

Earle R. Horton