va_list used in <stdio.h>

Don Libes libes at cme.nbs.gov
Sat Aug 19 09:30:42 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug18.184635.26773 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <10766 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>You should read Sue Meloy's article in the Journal of C Language
>>Translation...
>
>How about a summary, Doug?  Many of us thought JCLT was interesting until
>we saw the price tag, at which point we said "forget it".

I won't duplicate Doug's effort to post a summary of what was in the
first issue, but I will say that V1#1 was worthwhile.  In fact, I was
extremely impressed.

The articles were real "meat" articles spelling out problems and
solutions to the real hard problems facing C implementors and
programmers today.

About half of the essays were absolutely superb. (The rest were just
good.)  I was especially impressed with a historical article by
Plauger who always writes with incredible authority.  He answered many
questions that I had always wondered about.

It is likely that you may see this material if you are a member of any
of the C standards committees.  Some of it has appeared before in
those forums, although some of it is clearly new.  Nonetheless, it is
entirely different than, say, the C Users Journal (which I
occasionally write for, and which is aimed at the C programmer) or
this newsgroup (which has entirely too much chaff).  JCLT is aimed at
people designing C language tools, although it is certainly
interesting to other parties (like me).

As far as the price, I can't afford it either, but I am asking my
employer to buy a subscription.  (You'll notice this in your next tax
increase.)  If you are really as interested in C as you claim to be,
get your employer to buy a copy for crissakes.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever to JCLT.