Memory Models

Christoph Kuenkel ckl at uwbln.UUCP
Thu Aug 17 02:06:56 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug14.163909.9920 at esegue.uucp>, johnl at esegue.uucp (John Levine) writes:
> I can testify that large model C code is much larger and slower than small
> model, so you really need to have some sort of address space hackery to
> write useful programs.  Sad, but true.
I see it the other way round.  Its true and fine.  My expirience
was with Zilogs Z8000.  I always tried to compile and load my
programs using the small (unsegmented in their notion) model and
the result were astonishing quick programs.  This was in the
early days of the M68000 and the 68000 was quite uninteresting
compared to the Z8000 (which was some years older as far as i
know) due to this effect.

When there were problems coming up, I switched to the segmented
mode with a compiler flag and anything was fine.  No language
kludgery%.  to me its a feature!

christoph

%	except for static objects larger than 64k.  but in
	contrast to the x86, large objects were allocatable via
	malloc.
--
# include <std/disclaimer.h>
Christoph Kuenkel/UniWare GmbH       Kantstr. 152, 1000 Berlin 12, West Germany