What I'd really like to see in an if-statement...

John Hascall hascall at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Mon Aug 7 01:14:00 AEST 1989

In article <5027> spl at mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
}In article <1300> hascall at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (John Hascall) writes:
}@In article <5024> spl at mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:

}@}	if ( foo < bar < baz )  ...
}@} Good idea or bad idea?
}@
}@     It's in COBOL (along with everything else).
}@     To answer your other question, COBOL is a bad idea.

}That really doesn't address the question:  is the mathematical inequality test
}shown in my example a *bad* idea?

   Sorry, I should have followed that last bit with a smiley :-)

   I can see no reason why it is a bad idea (from a programming standpoint).
   And I can come up with a reason why it is a good idea (side effects):

	 while (min < *ptr++ < max) ...

   I can see no way to do this sort of thing as cleanly with ``< && <''.
   I compiler writer might have other opinions though!

John