ReadKey like Function in C

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Aug 7 14:28:53 AEST 1989

In article <148 at trigon.UUCP> immi at trigon.UUCP (immi) writes:
>I am a real beginner in C but I'm looking for a Function that will only
>read a single character from the keyboard, without confirming it with an
>ENTER. Can anybody help me with this ?

Not in a C newsgroup, no.  C runs on (among other things) the Univac
1100 series with input fed through Microdata concentrators, which do
not hand input to the CPU until they see a line terminator.  There is
no way to read a single character from such a virtual card punch; the
hardware simply does not allow it.

(Actually, the Microdata can be reprogrammed, but your average computer
center is not likely to let you do it.)

Now, if you wanted a VMS-specific method, or a PrimeOS-specific method,
or an MS-DOS specific method, or any other X-specific method, you could
go ask in some newsgroup devoted to X.