offsetof() macro

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Sat Aug 26 02:04:55 AEST 1989

  I think I asked this before, but I didn't see any answers. If you wish
feel free to mail instead of post.

  What good is offsetof? What wonderful things can I do with it that I
can't do without it, and are they things the average system hacker would
want to do. The only use for it which comes to mind is playing with
individual fields in a file  of structs, hardly common enough to justify
mandating a feature in the language.

  I read 4.1.5 and there is no info on what great things this does for
me. I have great respect for the committee and I'm sure there's a reason
why this was added, but it escapes me.

--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon