What I'd really like to see in an if-statement...

Herwig Henseler henseler at uniol.UUCP
Fri Aug 11 23:15:45 AEST 1989

Hello, world.

karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
> In article <14521 at bfmny0.UUCP> tneff at bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> >It would be fun to have such a thing, it would make expressing lots of
	       ^^^
Oh, boy! I think when ADA was created, everyone said something like
"Wouldn't it be fun if ADA has ..". The results is a heavily overloaded
language which is *very* hard to learn because of the many ways to express
the same thing. A programmer must not only learn how to write a language,
but also to *read* programs from others. Therefore you have to know all
statements/functions/predicates it offers.

> It would "break a lot of things in C"?  I admit that "x<y<z" is currently
> valid C, but I seriously doubt that it gets used heavily!

That's my opinion. The famous #define makes almost every syntactic sugar
possible if *you* want it.

> But still, it would be a new wart in a language that already has too many.  If
> it could be defined in such a way that the language became *simpler*, I'd like
> it a lot more.  (The ICON semantics come to mind.)

Absolute correct. The simpler, the better. (But I've never heard of ICON.
What is it?)

	bye, Herwig
--
** Herwig Henseler (CS-Student) D-2930 Varel, Tweehoernweg 69 | Brain error- **
** EMail: henseler at uniol.UUCP (..!uunet!unido!uniol!henseler) | core dumped  **