Right-to-left (was: Re: entry at other than main)

Wade Guthrie evil at arcturus.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 02:02:20 AEST 1989

henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <230 at ssp1.idca.tds.philips.nl> dolf at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) writes:
>>For those unknown to APL: do you know that APL is so compact that an
>>algorithm to get the first N primes can be written in just *ONE* expression
>>(of about 25 characters), including the reading of N from the terminal ?

>Yes, and a month afterward, even its author can't understand it without
>half an hour of study.

Well, this is not entirely true.  My second language was APL; the thing that I
learned above all else was documentation.  When one works with, and learns to think in,
a language that is inherently unreadable even to the least casual observer (:->),
he tends (in some, rare, instances) to compensate by documenting the poo out of the
code and striving for ways to express himself clearly.  Yes, even APL can be made to
be readable, although I would not call it an altogether pleseant or trivial exercise.
I think that learning APL at such an early (and impressionable) stage in my
programming career was an extremely valuable prelude to programming in C; consider
expressions like:

	blah = *((char * (*)())snarf(*stuff));

(it's been a while, the syntax probably stinks, but you get the idea. . .)

Wade Guthrie
evil at arcturus.UUCP
Rockwell International
Anaheim, CA

(Rockwell doesn't necessarily believe / stand by what I'm saying; how could
they when *I* don't even know what I'm talking about???)