Recommend a C compiler?

Noah Friedman pmaniac at walt.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 17 06:28:05 AEST 1989

In article <660054 at hpclwjm.HP.COM> walter at hpclwjm.HP.COM (Walter Murray) writes:
>I know C but am a total novice in the world of PC compatibles.
>Which compiler should I buy for my home use?  I want good quality,
>a commitment to ANSI C, responsiveness in fixing bugs, and good
>documentation.  I expect to be doing a variety of applications,
>including graphics.

My personal favorite is Turbo C ( (c) Borland International). It
follows the ANSI C standard, but the compiler directives can be
modified so that it'll handle the more lax format of UNIX C. Also, I
believe Borland makes the only compiler with an "integrated
environment", which really makes it handy to debug & run programs.

My only criticism of the Turbo C library are the graphics functions,
however. Borland didn't include any graphics at all with the first
version, but by version 1.5 included a set of routines that did all
sorts of crazy things with memory allocation & so forth. I got fed up
with it and wrote my own graphics library.

Turbo C seems to be the fastest compiler available for the IBM,
though. Documentation is fair (library functions are documented in K&R
format). Succesive versions seem to have fewer bugs & optimize a bit
more, and version 2.0 has an in-line source debugger.

pmaniac at walt.cc.utexas.edu.UUCP (Noah Friedman)

Any opinions expressed in this article are entirely my own and are not
representative of any official organization, including UT Austin.