Memory Models - Thanks for the info

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Aug 25 04:05:53 AEST 1989

In article <225800209 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
-From article <10744 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> People who aren't "wedded" to the *86 architecture generally don't
> seem to think it was necessary to cause memory models to be visible
> in higher-level programming languages.
-Nobody, even those like the '86, would claim that memory models
-need to be visible. They didn't. The compilers could have made
-everything large model. BUT ...

No, that's a misinterpretation of what I said.  Multiple memory models
can be supported without forcing them to be visible to the programmer.
ORCA/C for the Apple IIGS provides an example of one way to do this.