Compiler-heap woes....

Bill F. Faus billf at hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
Wed Dec 27 16:12:16 AEST 1989

Caveat: novice C hacker at work.

I am attempting to compile in a lot of literal text and hex info
into a Microsoft 5.1 C program.  The compiler seems to choke after
about 40K of literal info:

    char *ptr[] = {"string-1", "string-2", ..., "string-1000"};

with each string about 40 chars long.  I get error "C1002: out
of heap space".  Am I stupid, or is the compiler so weenie it can't
handle more than 40K of literal numbers and strings?  How do I give
the compiler more heap space?

So far I've wasted 3 days breaking my literal definitions into
separate code segments, compiling each piece, and linking the
stuff all back together.  It looks really crummy compared to
the bigger UNIX systems I'm used to.

"Short of time and brains and desperate for help"

billf at cv.hp.com