Behaviour of setjmp/longjmp and registers

Paul E. Black paul at sun505.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 10:51:24 AEST 1989

In article <26109 at cci632.UUCP> jf at ccird3.UUCP (Jens Fiederer) writes:

>While I have never used setjmp/longjmp myself, ... [m]y feeling is
>that setjmp/longjmp have their legitimate uses, be they ever so few.

I agree.  I helped write an IC design editor.  The structuring seemed
better to put a setjmp in the top loop of the "command interpreter"
(the code which reads the keyboard & mouse and decides which function
should be dispatched).  Then any command which needs to terminate can
easily do a longjmp.

In about 75 000 lines of code, there are less than 40 uses of setjmp and
longjmp.  Those are confined to just three usage areas.

Paul E. Black          | UUCP: ...{pyramid,amdahl,ames}!oliveb!cirrusl!paul
CIRRUS LOGIC, Inc.     | Internet: cirrusl!paul at olivetti.com
1463 Centre Pointe Dr. | Voice: (408) 945-8305 x 210
Milpitas, CA 95035 USA