life critical software

Glenn Weinberg glennw at nsc.nsc.com
Fri Feb 3 04:34:55 AEST 1989

In article <1857 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:

> Boeing airplanes are a marvel
>of safety and reliability as a result of such attention to detail.

Yes, but...

Not to be snide, but the recent FAA order requiring inspection of
ALL Boeing jetliners made in the last 8 years for crossed wiring must make
one wonder about just how much attention was really being paid to detail.

Please don't get me wrong.  I still think Boeing makes great airplanes.
But this incident really brings into question the test methodologies used
by Boeing.  (They've apparently already discovered at least 4 planes
with crossed wiring, not including the brand new 737-400 that recently
crashed in Britain in which crossed wiring is merely suspected, and which
triggered the FAA's recent concern.)

So what does all this have to do with comp.lang.c?  Just that no matter
what the components of a complex system, be they computer hardware,
software, or some mechanical part, adequate testing of the actual
system is critical to ensuring performance--you can't depend on anything
implicitly.

This discussion should probably be moved to comp.risks.
Glenn Weinberg					Email: glennw at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation		Phone: (408) 721-8102
(My opinions are strictly my own, but you can borrow them if you want.)