pointers to arrays

Jim Becker jim at athsys.uucp
Fri Feb 17 09:07:01 AEST 1989

>From article <19784 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by thoth at beach.cis.ufl.edu (Robert Forsman):
>
>   OK, Gordon cross wants to take the address of an array, but not in
> any normal way.  If E is an array (yes I know it's upper case but
> that's what he used) the &E should return a pointer to an array.  My
> question is "what will you use this for?"

	I had a problem w/ needing this functionality where I wanted
to return a pointer to an allocated array of char* pointers via a
procedure call. C did not allow me to do this. The case was one where
I wanted the caller to get the content of a text edit buffer by
passing a pointer to a *char[] type structure. I couldn't figure out
how to do this because of the inability to pass &(*char[]). This may
be doable, but I could not not get C to do it for me. I believe
Gordons' addition would let me do this.

-Jim Becker	...!sun!athsys!jim