Wanted: fast, low-precision trig functions for C

Ted A. Campbell tcamp at dukeac.UUCP
Tue Feb 28 03:41:57 AEST 1989

I am writing a graphics-based program that has to calculate
several thousand map coordinates.  The slowest part of this
program by far is its trigonometric functions--it takes
3 minutes and 45 seconds to calculate 3000 sets ofd coordinates
on an XT clone at 10 mhz (no coprocessor), which is the lowest
resolution map I can make.

I wondered if there were any fast, low-precision approaches
to the standard trig functions, since the compilers I use
(Microsoft QuickC and AT&T Unix C) boast of their high
level of precision?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ted A. Campbell
Duke Divinity School
{ethos, ecsgate}!dukeac!numen!tcamp